This is somewhat off our recent topic track, but I happened to find it among some of my writings and thought it might bless someone.
The kind of church I would like…
1. A church that teaches that Jesus is real and that we are called to a relationship with Him as a real Person.
2. A church that teaches that Jesus is the only way and the sufficient way to God.
3. A church that recognizes that this real relationship with a real Jesus will result in different perspectives and priorities as Jesus leads in each person’s life.
4. A church where each person is safe to express his heart needs and share from the perspective Jesus is using in her life.
5. A church where each person is viewed by the others as Jesus’ work in progress and is valued with eyes of love and compassion.
6. A church where each person sees himself as Jesus’ work in progress and relates to others in humility and mindful of his own dependence on Jesus.
7. A church where people are taught to believe that God is powerful and Jesus is real and the real power of God is in us through our relationship with Jesus.
8. A church where the governing processes reflect the active life of Jesus in relationship to the people and priorities of the church.